Chicago Magazine is asking readers to vote for the best hamburgers in the area and I think there are a couple of Oak Park-based burgers that could be added to the list.

Five Guys Oak Park IllinoisWhile there aren’t any Oak Park restaurants (except for the Lincoln Park Five Guys) on the official ballot, you do have the option to write-in your pick. Personally, I’m a big fan of the juicy patties at Winberie’s, Bar Louie and the Avenue Ale House so I’m feeling a little torn. I’ll have to let my stomach decide.

Who gets your vote for the best burger in Oak Park?

Tags: Bar Louie, Five Guys, Illinois, Oak Park, Winberie's, hamburgers, restaurants

Views: 1947

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I made it over to the Ale House and had their Jamaican Jerk burger. It was the best burger I've had in Oak Park yet, and Becca is absolutely right: eating it outside on the rooftop, with a cold beer after a long day, certainly enhanced the experience.

Becca said:
Dave, I believe the rooftop deck at the Ale House further enhances the already great burgers!

Dave! said:
I think 5 Guys is *way* over-rated. The burgers are good, but they just aren't up to the hype, to me at least.
I just don't think there is a *great* burger joint in OP... but I haven't been to the Ale House. I'll have to check it out.
Jamican Jerk burger? That sounds interesting. Was it really spicy?

Christopher Richardson said:
I made it over to the Ale House and had their Jamaican Jerk burger. It was the best burger I've had in Oak Park yet, and Becca is absolutely right: eating it outside on the rooftop, with a cold beer after a long day, certainly enhanced the experience.

I've gotta say, I went to Five Guys looking for a turkey burger and was disappointed to discover they weren't on the menu. The fries were great, the portion is enough to feed a family.
So, Ric headed back to my favorite Tasty Dog for a delicious turkey burger. If you're ever in the mood, give it a try! Grilled onions on top are a must!! I noticed Erik Deli reopened, their turkey burgers were pretty good as well. Like the new facade on Erik's.

Becca said:
Jamican Jerk burger? That sounds interesting. Was it really spicy? Christopher Richardson said:
I made it over to the Ale House and had their Jamaican Jerk burger. It was the best burger I've had in Oak Park yet, and Becca is absolutely right: eating it outside on the rooftop, with a cold beer after a long day, certainly enhanced the experience.

I'd have to say Mickey's-it's a hole in the wall, but the food is good and cheap! This is based on my limited knowledge thus far. Being that I just moved, Avenue Ale House is definitely on my list of places to try!
Hey Megan, where's Mickeys?

Megan said:
I'd have to say Mickey's-it's a hole in the wall, but the food is good and cheap! This is based on my limited knowledge thus far. Being that I just moved, Avenue Ale House is definitely on my list of places to try!
I'm stunned by what I'm hearing. George's on Oak Park Avenue makes one of the best burgers in AMERICA. The Big Boy Special with grilled onions and swiss, cooked rare (they actually cook it rare!) is a burger to rival anybody's best. This burger beats any local joint hands down. There is no better burger in the tri-state area. To get real competition, you have to go to Tommy's Diner in LA or Mike's Place in Brooklyn. Head to head, George would hold his own against either joint.
Just enough!

Becca said:
Jamican Jerk burger? That sounds interesting. Was it really spicy?

I forgot about Mickey's! It's definitely a place to go for a quick greasy burger, or just lots of food for little money. Years ago, growing up in Wheaton, one of my best friend's would always stop at Mickey's on the way back from the city.

Becca: it's on Harlem just south of Chicago.

The last time I was there I had an Italian Beef that must have had half a cow in it. It was so much meat, I felt compelled to go vegetarian for a week afterwards.

Becca said:
Hey Megan, where's Mickeys?
Megan said:
I'd have to say Mickey's-it's a hole in the wall, but the food is good and cheap! This is based on my limited knowledge thus far. Being that I just moved, Avenue Ale House is definitely on my list of places to try!

Never heard of George's, but with that kind of endorsement, I'm considering them for a late Sunday hamburger breakfast. Thanks Karolis!

Karolis Gintaras Zukauskas said:
I'm stunned by what I'm hearing. George's on Oak Park Avenue makes one of the best burgers in AMERICA. The Big Boy Special with grilled onions and swiss, cooked rare (they actually cook it rare!) is a burger to rival anybody's best. This burger beats any local joint hands down. There is no better burger in the tri-state area. To get real competition, you have to go to Tommy's Diner in LA or Mike's Place in Brooklyn. Head to head, George would hold his own against either joint.
I second or third the Big Mickey at Mickey's for a good old fashioned American hamburger by a non-chain.
You just put another to-do on my list of places to try. Thanks!

Karolis Gintaras Zukauskas said:
I'm stunned by what I'm hearing. George's on Oak Park Avenue makes one of the best burgers in AMERICA. The Big Boy Special with grilled onions and swiss, cooked rare (they actually cook it rare!) is a burger to rival anybody's best. This burger beats any local joint hands down. There is no better burger in the tri-state area. To get real competition, you have to go to Tommy's Diner in LA or Mike's Place in Brooklyn. Head to head, George would hold his own against either joint.
Isn't Mickey's already technically River Forest?

Megan said:
I'd have to say Mickey's-it's a hole in the wall, but the food is good and cheap! This is based on my limited knowledge thus far. Being that I just moved, Avenue Ale House is definitely on my list of places to try!
I'm open to exploring the best hamburgers in River Forest as well. I'm an equal opportunity eater.

Karolis Gintaras Zukauskas said:
Isn't Mickey's already technically River Forest?

Megan said:
I'd have to say Mickey's-it's a hole in the wall, but the food is good and cheap! This is based on my limited knowledge thus far. Being that I just moved, Avenue Ale House is definitely on my list of places to try!
No, Mickey's is on our side of Harlem.

However, it IS a chain. They have them all over the south suburbs, including one where I grew up in Worth.

RSS

Advertisements

Promote Your Local Business

 

You too can advertise on Live Here Oak Park. Contact us for details or visit our advertising page.

Become a fan or a follower

Or find us on Facebook.

Subscribe Via RSS

Add Live Here Oak Park to your RSS reader.

Get Live Here Oak Park delivered via e-mail!

There are three different types of feeds available for e-mail delivery. Subscribe to one or all three so you never miss a thing on Live Here Oak Park.

Blog posts

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


Discussion forum

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


Recent activity feed

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

© 2014   Created by Becca.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service