I'm considering moving to Oak Park and we are looking at 2 possible apartments. One is on Washington near Harvey (i believe that's the street). The other is near the library, on Grove.  My daughter will be entering 1st Grade next year.  According to Schooldigger, Holmes ranks much lower than Beye.  I'm leaning toward apartment with Holmes school, but this ranking alarms me.  Any feedback on Holmes? Beye? 

This has been a tough decision for me. I grew up in the city and can't even believe I'm feeling this way.  I don't have fears when I'm in the city and I'm accounting that to having lived in it and played in it throughout my childhood to adult years.  Then I lived in Downers Grove for 5 years.  Downers Grove is a great place to raise a family, but I am a single mom and I actually felt like a "freak" there -- no one was a single mom.  And the diversity just wasn't there.  I started to feel like I didn't fit in and was afraid my daughter would begin feeling the same way.  Anyway, I think living in Downers Grove only 5 years made me "soft."  I like the idea of moving to Oak Park, to me a cross between the city and suburb.  But I've been spending more time in it and I've been sort of surprised.  It's more urban than I thought and certainly more urban than Downers.  So, I'm suddenly questioning my decision to move there.  I'm concerned about safety.  Bizarre, cuz I don't feel this way when I'm in Chicago (where i spend a lot of time). I know how to navigate the city and keep my eyes and ears open.  It just feels like my skin to me.  But I didn't expect this red flag feeling in Oak Park.  Is it crazy to ask -- is Oak Park less safe than the north and northwest side of Chicago?  Cuz I'm starting to feel like it has more of a seedy vibe than I thought.  Please confirm or set me straight.  I don't want to be afraid to come home late at night - which I do becuz I work evening hours once or twice/week.

Thanks. 

Views: 399

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There is some truth to losing some quaintness, but Oak Park Festival Theatre is still here performing Shakespeare in the park every summer and that's something few communities have. 

Mary said:

If the population is decreasing, I personally think that this would be a benefit to Oak Park.  I recall driving to Oak Park very often as soon as I could drive.  It wasn't far from us when I lived on Chicago's Northwest side.  I remember Marshall Fields on the corner.  It was a nice little burb to do a little shopping, see a movie, visit Peterson's ice cream parlor, see Shakepeare in the Park.   Then suddenly, it was as if one day Lake and Harlem became a 24/7 traffic jam.  Sort of lost its quaintness from the development and increased population/traffic.  

A friend of mine who has been living in Oak Park for many, many years loves it.  But she has said on many occasions that she wants to move because of the high taxes.  That would be the only reason she would move she says. 

I think you will be very happy here.  If you have specific questions or concerns, you should start a new thread. 

Yogi said:

My husband and I relocated to the Chicago area last summer from the West Coast.  As an introduction to the community, we rented a home in the far west suburbs to provide us the opportunity to explore neighborhoods before purchasing.  Our lease will be up next summer and we are looking to move closer to Chicago, where I work, and into a more diverse community.  I am very attracted to the Oak Park community; I love the architecture, diversity and eclectic nature of the community.  However, I am very concerned about the crime statistics – we have two very young children.  Being completely new to the Chicago area, I am not sure if I am being naïve by thinking it’s okay to live so close to the West Side of Chicago.  I have spent many years living in the Los Angeles area and know exactly how close I can move to the crime-challenged neighborhoods in Southern CA and still be safe.  However, Chicago is a completely unknown to me.  I have seen the statistics showing that crime in Oak Park is decreasing.  However, I have also seen statistics that say the Oak Park Population has decreased 7% since 1990.  Are people leaving Oak Park because of crime?  Also, do you think I will be putting my children in harm’s way by moving to Oak Park?

Well, remember, the name of this site is "Live Here Oak Park," so you might get a biased opinion from us.  :)  There is a fair amount of information on this thread about personal opinions of crime and safety. But basically, it says a lot that there are a lot of families in Oak Park, many of whom are very privileged and well-off and could live wherever they like, who choose to live here.

Yogi said:

My husband and I relocated to the Chicago area last summer from the West Coast.  As an introduction to the community, we rented a home in the far west suburbs to provide us the opportunity to explore neighborhoods before purchasing.  Our lease will be up next summer and we are looking to move closer to Chicago, where I work, and into a more diverse community.  I am very attracted to the Oak Park community; I love the architecture, diversity and eclectic nature of the community.  However, I am very concerned about the crime statistics – we have two very young children.  Being completely new to the Chicago area, I am not sure if I am being naïve by thinking it’s okay to live so close to the West Side of Chicago.  I have spent many years living in the Los Angeles area and know exactly how close I can move to the crime-challenged neighborhoods in Southern CA and still be safe.  However, Chicago is a completely unknown to me.  I have seen the statistics showing that crime in Oak Park is decreasing.  However, I have also seen statistics that say the Oak Park Population has decreased 7% since 1990.  Are people leaving Oak Park because of crime?  Also, do you think I will be putting my children in harm’s way by moving to Oak Park?

Good point, Aaron. Perhaps if the site was "Don't Live Here in Oak Park" our responses would be different.  We're totally biased! :)

Aaron Andersen said:

Well, remember, the name of this site is "Live Here Oak Park," so you might get a biased opinion from us.  :)  There is a fair amount of information on this thread about personal opinions of crime and safety. But basically, it says a lot that there are a lot of families in Oak Park, many of whom are very privileged and well-off and could live wherever they like, who choose to live here.

Yogi said:

Hi. I have lived in Oak Park for 37 years, raised both of my kids here; have coached gymnastics (at Tri- Star in Forest Park) for 25 years and am the administrator in the Multicultural Education Department in District 97.  I have always felt safe here, but I am not naive.  I lock my doors and take reasonable precautions to avoid dangerous situations.

As you'd expect, I feel that all of our schools are good.  I work with some very outstanding teachers in every school.  We have a common core curriculum across the district; there is also Spanish, instrumental music, P.E., art, and more.  The Multicultural Education Department provides services to every school (diversity training for staff, cultural assemblies, presentations, exhibits and activities that promote diversity and tolerance), and manages a cultural library and hands-on museum that is accessible to all teachers, students and community members.  In addition to those things that all of the schools have in common, each school has programs that are unique to the needs and interests of their students.  

One of the most important things that parents can do to make sure that the school works well for their children is to be involved whenever you can.  When you are there at school, it helps you get to know the school staff, and helps them get to know you and your child. Working  with your child's school shows your child that you and the school staff are partners, and reinforces those values that really help children be academically successful and happy.

RSS

Advertisements

Promote Your Local Business

You too can advertise on Live Here Oak Park. Contact us for details or visit our advertising page.

Become a fan or a follower

Or find us on Facebook.

Subscribe Via RSS

Add Live Here Oak Park to your RSS reader.

Get Live Here Oak Park delivered via e-mail!

There are three different types of feeds available for e-mail delivery. Subscribe to one or all three so you never miss a thing on Live Here Oak Park.

Blog posts

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Discussion forum

Delivered by FeedBurner

Recent activity feed

Delivered by FeedBurner

© 2014   Created by Becca.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service