Hey everyone! Thanks again for joining the site. There's so much to discuss about life in and around Oak Park, you're probably wondering where to begin! This is one place where you can get started. Feel free say hello here and introduce yourself to the other members.

Tags: Oak Park

Views: 1064

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Cathy,

Thanks for your words of support. Like anything else, I have my good days and bad. I am adjusting and trying to explore our new community. I was afraid the holidays would be difficult so I've concentrated my efforts. I went the community concert of the Messiah last week and dragged my family to Concordia to hear the Whiffenpoofs (acappella) this week. I am finding there truly is a lot to offer here.

I have yet to find a support group. I contacted Gilda's Place but at the time it just seemed like too much of an effort. Thanks for the breathing suggestion...I use "deep rhythmic breathing" or "square breathing" a lot these days. It helps keep the anxiety in check.

Again, thank you for your kind words. Have a wonderful holiday!

Kim
Hi Kim, thank you so much for introducing yourself to the folks here on Live Here Oak Park and sharing your story. I'm very sorry about your husband. I can't imagine how difficult things must be for you right now and your family will be in my thoughts this holiday season.

You might want to look at Rush Hospital for support groups. I follow them on Twitter and they seem to have a number of them. You might even be about to message the person who created their account on this site.

kim minnaugh said:
Hi everyone. My name is Kim and I moved to River Forest 3 months ago from Cleveland, Ohio (alright no Cleveland jokes allowed). We have 3 children...the oldest is teaching in Turkey, the middle is a sophomore at University of Notre Dame and the youngest is in 8th grade at Roosevelt Middle School. My husband had been working as a consultant for the past year in Chicago and was home only on the weekends. When he was offered a job in Oak Brook we decided to make the move. I knew that I wanted to reproduce the atmosphere of our old neighborhood in Cleveland (Shaker Heights). The relocation realtor started me out in Downers Grove and Wheaton. I kept saying that I wanted to be in a more diverse area close to the city. Well River Forest/Oak Park certainly fit the bill. We are truly enjoying exploring our new home.

BTW, 2 weeks before our move my husband was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer. He is getting treatment at MD Anderson Cancer Hospital in Houston. I am looking for some sort of local cancer support group but am having very little luck. Does anyone know of anything out there.

Also...The Marion Street Cheese Shop is great. It is my first stop with visiting family and friends.
Hi Kim,
I wish I could say I had luck finding Cancer support groups while my father and uncle were both battling Cancer this year. I currently have 2 other uncles and a grandfather all battling cancer, I'm still looking for that support group. I had also found some in Chicago, but was really hoping for something really local. I did find a few local therapists that seem to cater to people dealing with major illnesses in people close to them, just haven't had the courage to make an appointment yet.

Sometimes I think we could start our own support group right here in OP. I felt very fortunate knowing I was not alone, as once I told people how sick my father was it seemed everyone I knew had dealt with a relative with Cancer or was going through it at the same time. Then again, you don't want to think of that many people also going through that either. Still, sometimes I think we could definitely staff our own support group with wonderful people if they wanted to get together.

Not that you are looking for advice, but as someone still coping with it, I can tell you that it is so important to also watch out for your own physical and mental health. Stay positive for yourself and for him, and please do not forget to take care of YOU too. I'm so sorry to hear you are all having to go through this. Be strong! But keep in mind you are not superwoman and do keep reaching out for help when you need it. Feel free to message me any time if you want to talk about it. I'm not an expert but I've been there more than once, and am still there now. I know you don't know me, but maybe that makes it easier...

OakParkGirl said:
Hi Kim,
I wish I could say I had luck finding Cancer support groups while my father and uncle were both battling Cancer this year. I currently have 2 other uncles and a grandfather all battling cancer, I'm still looking for that support group. I had also found some in Chicago, but was really hoping for something really local. I did find a few local therapists that seem to cater to people dealing with major illnesses in people close to them, just haven't had the courage to make an appointment yet.

Sometimes I think we could start our own support group right here in OP. I felt very fortunate knowing I was not alone, as once I told people how sick my father was it seemed everyone I knew had dealt with a relative with Cancer or was going through it at the same time. Then again, you don't want to think of that many people also going through that either. Still, sometimes I think we could definitely staff our own support group with wonderful people if they wanted to get together.

Not that you are looking for advice, but as someone still coping with it, I can tell you that it is so important to also watch out for your own physical and mental health. Stay positive for yourself and for him, and please do not forget to take care of YOU too. I'm so sorry to hear you are all having to go through this. Be strong! But keep in mind you are not superwoman and do keep reaching out for help when you need it. Feel free to message me any time if you want to talk about it. I'm not an expert but I've been there more than once, and am still there now. I know you don't know me, but maybe that makes it easier...

kim minnaugh said:

OakParkGirl said:
Hi Kim,

Hey everyone, I'm Marlon. My wife and I, along with our 3 year-old and 3 month-old sons, currently reside in Chicago's Lakeview neighborhood. We're planning to make a move to Oak Park in '11 - and have been home hunting for the past few months. Like many of you, we were looking for a little "urban-lite" as well.. Although my wife and I are originally from the burbs, we have come to love the city "grit." And OP provides the best of both worlds. We've spent a considerable amount of time in the community over the past year - and look forward to calling OP home soon!

I don't feel like a new member but I never introduced myself.  My name is Tim Kelly and I grew up in Oak Park.  Except for school, I've been here 50+ years.  I didn't intend on staying but my family likes it here. 

I own a small construction company and do commercial, institutional and residential projects.  The project everyone has heard about was when we moved the old Hemingway house from behind the library so the library board could build the new main branch.  That was quite a parade.

I spent 9 years on the park board and was president during the Barrie Park MGP clean up.  I was expecting to work on recreation but got remediation instead.

Thank you Becca for setting up this site.  Thanks to you and the members I am still learning about this old Village.

Hi Marlon, welcome to Oak Park. I'm with you, I think Oak Park provides the perfect mix of city and suburb. I can't imagine living anywhere else!

Marlon Millhouse said:
Hey everyone, I'm Marlon. My wife and I, along with our 3 year-old and 3 month-old sons, currently reside in Chicago's Lakeview neighborhood. We're planning to make a move to Oak Park in '11 - and have been home hunting for the past few months. Like many of you, we were looking for a little "urban-lite" as well.. Although my wife and I are originally from the burbs, we have come to love the city "grit." And OP provides the best of both worlds. We've spent a considerable amount of time in the community over the past year - and look forward to calling OP home soon!
Hi Tim, thanks for introducing yourself.  It's great to have such a long-time resident on the site.  We're glad to have you!  I don't know if you saw that we have a couple threads that might be of interest to you in our "Your Old House" section.

tim kelly said:

I don't feel like a new member but I never introduced myself.  My name is Tim Kelly and I grew up in Oak Park.  Except for school, I've been here 50+ years.  I didn't intend on staying but my family likes it here. 

I own a small construction company and do commercial, institutional and residential projects.  The project everyone has heard about was when we moved the old Hemingway house from behind the library so the library board could build the new main branch.  That was quite a parade.

I spent 9 years on the park board and was president during the Barrie Park MGP clean up.  I was expecting to work on recreation but got remediation instead.

Thank you Becca for setting up this site.  Thanks to you and the members I am still learning about this old Village.

Hi everyone, My name is Rhonda and I recently moved back to Oak Park after having moved 8 years ago.  I decided to move back to be closer to work (downtown Chicago).  I have two adult daughters, one who just graduated from the University of IL and currently doing an internship in South Carolina.  My other daughter is studying nursing and then there's my 8 year old, 2nd grade.  Thank you for having me! 
Greetings! I'm Jan. I haven't moved to Oak Park, yet, but have found this site so helpful that I decided to join so I can ask questions, etc. My family and I are moving to Oak Park from New York (Manhattan). My husband and I are psychologists (clinical and social respectively). He is starting a faculty job this summer and I'll keep my current status as stay-at-home mom to two girls (3 and 5 months) until we get settled. I'm originally from California but went to Wheaton College for undergrad so this will be a homecoming of sorts. Looking forward to learning more about OP. 

We will be doing a housing/preschool scouting visit the last weekend of this month. Here's hoping for non-blizzard weather!
Welcome to the neighborhood.  I'm sure if you have any questions about moving to OP, definitely don't hesitate to ask.  We are all here to help.

Jan Kang said:
Greetings! I'm Jan. I haven't moved to Oak Park, yet, but have found this site so helpful that I decided to join so I can ask questions, etc. My family and I are moving to Oak Park from New York (Manhattan). My husband and I are psychologists (clinical and social respectively). He is starting a faculty job this summer and I'll keep my current status as stay-at-home mom to two girls (3 and 5 months) until we get settled. I'm originally from California but went to Wheaton College for undergrad so this will be a homecoming of sorts. Looking forward to learning more about OP. 

We will be doing a housing/preschool scouting visit the last weekend of this month. Here's hoping for non-blizzard weather!

RSS

Advertisements

Promote Your Local Business

You too can advertise on Live Here Oak Park. Contact us for details or visit our advertising page.

Become a fan or a follower

Or find us on Facebook.

Subscribe Via RSS

Add Live Here Oak Park to your RSS reader.

Get Live Here Oak Park delivered via e-mail!

There are three different types of feeds available for e-mail delivery. Subscribe to one or all three so you never miss a thing on Live Here Oak Park.

Blog posts

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Discussion forum

Delivered by FeedBurner

Recent activity feed

Delivered by FeedBurner

© 2014   Created by Becca.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service