Did any one try Delia's Kitchen it open on Monday at 7AM the number is 708-358-1300
looks nice and clean, he put alot of money into the place! Lets make sure he stays so support him and get him to join our website! Ill get some pictures up from the Oak Leaves!

Views: 190

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Quit whining, Fred. We're all educated. Check your work before you post.

Fred tamburino said:
Do you haave to have a PHD in grammer and writing to write on this board!
That's nice the whole discussion is about my spelling and grammer. Did anyone eat their yet?
My friends went there and said the food is ok! It's kinda on the high priced side. $14.95 for Tilapia (small)
$16.95 for salmon (small) pancakes $5.99 not very good. service was slow they must still be training.
New York Strip $17.95 for a 8 to 9 oz cut. I added some pictures from the Oak Leaves it is nice and new in their. they are attached. I did not know how to load them to the page.
I'm sorry to hear the pancakes weren't up to snuff. I was really hoping for a good brunch option. Oh well.

Fred tamburino said:
That's nice the whole discussion is about my spelling and grammer. Did anyone eat their yet? My friends went there and said the food is ok! It's kinda on the high priced side. $14.95 for Tilapia (small) $16.95 for salmon (small) pancakes $5.99 not very good. service was slow they must still be training.
New York Strip $17.95 for a 8 to 9 oz cut. I added some pictures from the Oak Leaves it is nice and new in their. they are attached. I did not know how to load them to the page.
We visited this afternoon for lunch. I like what they did with the place and it was quite busy. Very nice people, great service, and our grilled burgers (regular and turkey) were yummy. We both got the "deluxe" lunch and the chicken noodle soup was also tasty. Big basket of rolls too. It's more old-school than cutting-edge i.e. comfort food. I hope they continue to stay busy.
News of a tasty turkey burger is always something I like to hear. That's reason enough for me to check them out.

If anyone else goes, please take some pics of your food! We'd love to see 'em.

Yasmeen said:
We visited this afternoon for lunch. I like what they did with the place and it was quite busy. Very nice people, great service, and our grilled burgers (regular and turkey) were yummy. We both got the "deluxe" lunch and the chicken noodle soup was also tasty. Big basket of rolls too. It's more old-school than cutting-edge i.e. comfort food. I hope they continue to stay busy.
Becca said:
I'm sorry to hear the pancakes weren't up to snuff. I was really hoping for a good brunch option. Oh well.

Fred tamburino said:
That's nice the whole discussion is about my spelling and grammer. Did anyone eat their yet? My friends went there and said the food is ok! It's kinda on the high priced side. $14.95 for Tilapia (small) $16.95 for salmon (small) pancakes $5.99 not very good. service was slow they must still be training.
New York Strip $17.95 for a 8 to 9 oz cut. I added some pictures from the Oak Leaves it is nice and new in their. they are attached. I did not know how to load them to the page.
I went with my wife for breakfast on Sunday. The place was full and services was good. The portions were huge! I ordered the Sante fe Crepes which come with a potato pancake and it was very tasty. Two very large crepes filled with diced chicken, onions and green pepper in a chipolte sauce. I'm a rather big eater and I had a hard time finishing. My wife ordered the french toast and a side of bacon. The french toast consisted of two extremely thick pieces (maybe a bit too thick in my opinion) with a little fruit and served with butter and syrup. The bacon was thick cut and cooked just right not to crispy and not under cooked either. I also looked around and noticed the table next to us ordered one of their skillets which looked like a rahter large portion as well. We will be going back.
Member Leonard has posted some pics from his visit.
You might say, why do we need another Greek-American diner in OP? Well Delia's is not just another diner. Delia's is a bright and fresh addition to Lake Street. The old Maple Leaf was a solid standby but is was growing worn.

It felt crowded with the center row of booths. Bare light bulbs dangled from shades putting the light in your eyes. (I never figured out why the didn't use mini-spots in the same fixtures.) And the clatter of dishes at the service counter in the center of the restaurant was too loud.

The new owners have reconfigured, brightened and freshened not only the physical facilities but the menu as well. Items such as their vegetarian version of Eggs Benedict are interesting and tasty. The portions are often huge. Veggie burgers and Turkey Burgers require two hands. The turkey burger comes with spinach on it, which Delia's uses elsewhere on the menu to good effect,

After I read Dough Deshler's review I made a point of visiting for the first time. I was in a hurry and just wanted something simple and fast so I ordered a chicken ceasar on pita. I expected something like a small wrap. What I got was a full meal for something like $7.95.

On another occasion my companion had a turkey burger which was flavorful and large. The veggie burger has so many interesting things in it I can't remember them all (although perhaps they could use some of them as garnishes to make the plate more interesting.)

That night I ordered Amish Greek Chicken. Often Greek chicken, while delicious, is dripping with olive oil which I cannot keep from decorating my shirt. This good sized meal not only did not suffer from that malady, but was accompanied by what was referred to on the menu as a "small Greek Salad" and Greek potatos. The salad was huge [see the photo in my Delia's album] and included large slices of feta cheese and at least one anchovie. I rarely have anything left when I finish dinner. But I had a wonderful lunch of cold chicken and salad the next day. (Reasonable at $11.95.)

One morning, I ordered scrambled eggs and toast. (Burned, I said, because too often toast comes out looking like someone held a match under it.) It was just what I wanted. The smoke detector didn't go off but butter melted rapidly on it and soaked in. And the eggs were fluffy. Just as I had ordered them.

I have only been there a few times but the piece de resistance is their vegetarian Eggs Benedict (I am not sure that is what it is called). Poached eggs served over a delicious combination of spinach and mushrooms on top of potato pancakes with fruit cup (and Hollandaise sauce on the side, at my request).

But food is not the only thing that matters in a diner. Attitude also makes a difference. Many restaurants are tired. The owner glowers in a booth he takes for himself from which he supervises his staff. But Delia's is not like that. The staff are cheerful, not only in their interactions with each other. I am sorry I missed the photo, but at one point, when the restaurant wasn't too busy, several waitresses were clusted at the service bar, all looking at something. They were smiling and laughing. This attitude also carries over in the interaction with customers. There is not the false cheer found in some restaurants but a light attitude that is serious enough to get things done.

Not everything is perfect in the service. However, the restaurant is new and it takes a bit of time to get coordinated. But when something wasn't just as I had ordered it was quickly and cheerfully remedied or replaced.

Fortunately, for me, there have always been empty tables when I have arrived. Even Sunday at 12:30. It was busy and I was grateful to find a table at that time of day. Partly, that is because people don't know the restaurant is open yet. The Maple Leaf was closed for quite a while. And parking can be difficult on a weekday. It will get worse when the parking facility on Forest is closed and it is tight on Wednesdays when the vacant lot on the 1100 block is closed for the Market.

One of my most important considerations: There was no loud music and the sound of conversation didn't reverberate too harshly from the walls and ceiling.

One more thing. The restaurant is open from 6:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. Seven days a week (or do they start later on Sundays?) I don't know how long they can keep that up on most weeknights. The ability of a restaurant to perform at its peak required that it be reasonably busy so that certain standby items can be in constant prepration and that the staff remain on their toes. When there in only one customer late in the evening service can become slow and uneven. So if you want to keep this place open at night make a point to go there often. You won't be disappointed.

You can see my photos of Delias, including shots of most of the meals I mentioned above here.

And by the way, their Intellegensia coffee is their own blend and it never stops coming.
Leonard,

I don't know if you're a professional restaurant reviewer, but that's a phenomenal write-up. Thanks for the time and effort. Nice job.



Leonard Grossman said:
You might say, why do we need another Greek-American diner in OP? Well Delia's is not just another diner. Delia's is a bright and fresh addition to Lake Street. The old Maple Leaf was a solid standby but is was growing worn.

It felt crowded with the center row of booths. Bare light bulbs dangled from shades putting the light in your eyes. (I never figured out why the didn't use mini-spots in the same fixtures.) And the clatter of dishes at the service counter in the center of the restaurant was too loud.

The new owners have reconfigured, brightened and freshened not only the physical facilities but the menu as well. Items such as their vegetarian version of Eggs Benedict are interesting and tasty. The portions are often huge. Veggie burgers and Turkey Burgers require two hands. The turkey burger comes with spinach on it, which Delia's uses elsewhere on the menu to good effect,

After I read Dough Deshler's review I made a point of visiting for the first time. I was in a hurry and just wanted something simple and fast so I ordered a chicken ceasar on pita. I expected something like a small wrap. What I got was a full meal for something like $7.95.

On another occasion my companion had a turkey burger which was flavorful and large. The veggie burger has so many interesting things in it I can't remember them all (although perhaps they could use some of them as garnishes to make the plate more interesting.)

That night I ordered Amish Greek Chicken. Often Greek chicken, while delicious, is dripping with olive oil which I cannot keep from decorating my shirt. This good sized meal not only did not suffer from that malady, but was accompanied by what was referred to on the menu as a "small Greek Salad" and Greek potatos. The salad was huge [see the photo in my Delia's album] and included large slices of feta cheese and at least one anchovie. I rarely have anything left when I finish dinner. But I had a wonderful lunch of cold chicken and salad the next day. (Reasonable at $11.95.)

One morning, I ordered scrambled eggs and toast. (Burned, I said, because too often toast comes out looking like someone held a match under it.) It was just what I wanted. The smoke detector didn't go off but butter melted rapidly on it and soaked in. And the eggs were fluffy. Just as I had ordered them.

I have only been there a few times but the piece de resistance is their vegetarian Eggs Benedict (I am not sure that is what it is called). Poached eggs served over a delicious combination of spinach and mushrooms on top of potato pancakes with fruit cup (and Hollandaise sauce on the side, at my request).

But food is not the only thing that matters in a diner. Attitude also makes a difference. Many restaurants are tired. The owner glowers in a booth he takes for himself from which he supervises his staff. But Delia's is not like that. The staff are cheerful, not only in their interactions with each other. I am sorry I missed the photo, but at one point, when the restaurant wasn't too busy, several waitresses were clusted at the service bar, all looking at something. They were smiling and laughing. This attitude also carries over in the interaction with customers. There is not the false cheer found in some restaurants but a light attitude that is serious enough to get things done.

Not everything is perfect in the service. However, the restaurant is new and it takes a bit of time to get coordinated. But when something wasn't just as I had ordered it was quickly and cheerfully remedied or replaced.

Fortunately, for me, there have always been empty tables when I have arrived. Even Sunday at 12:30. It was busy and I was grateful to find a table at that time of day. Partly, that is because people don't know the restaurant is open yet. The Maple Leaf was closed for quite a while. And parking can be difficult on a weekday. It will get worse when the parking facility on Forest is closed and it is tight on Wednesdays when the vacant lot on the 1100 block is closed for the Market.

One of my most important considerations: There was no loud music and the sound of conversation didn't reverberate too harshly from the walls and ceiling.

One more thing. The restaurant is open from 6:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. Seven days a week (or do they start later on Sundays?) I don't know how long they can keep that up on most weeknights. The ability of a restaurant to perform at its peak required that it be reasonably busy so that certain standby items can be in constant prepration and that the staff remain on their toes. When there in only one customer late in the evening service can become slow and uneven. So if you want to keep this place open at night make a point to go there often. You won't be disappointed.

You can see my photos of Delias, including shots of most of the meals I mentioned above here.

And by the way, their Intellegensia coffee is their own blend and it never stops coming.
Thanks, Brad. Not a professional. I just like to eat.


Leonard Grossman said:
Thanks, Brad. Not a professional. I just like to eat.

Dad,
Do I see a new career as a restaurant reviewer in your future? Look forward to grabbing a bite there with you soon!

RSS

Advertisements

Promote Your Local Business

 

You too can advertise on Live Here Oak Park. Contact us for details or visit our advertising page.

Become a fan or a follower

Or find us on Facebook.

Subscribe Via RSS

Add Live Here Oak Park to your RSS reader.

Get Live Here Oak Park delivered via e-mail!

There are three different types of feeds available for e-mail delivery. Subscribe to one or all three so you never miss a thing on Live Here Oak Park.

Blog posts

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


Discussion forum

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


Recent activity feed

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

© 2014   Created by Becca.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service